According to the Chicagotribune.com, a jury awarded a verdict of $2.6 million in the case of a woman exposed to toxic asbestos particles.  The woman, Jean Holmes, died from asbestos related cancer, mesothelioma, in April of 2006.  Mrs. Holmes’ exposure to asbestos occurred when she washed her husband’s clothes.  Her husband, Donald Homes, was a worker at the Union Asbestos and Rubber Company, in Bloomington, IL in the 1960’s. 

The lawsuit claimed Mr. Holmes worked around asbestos products manufactured and used by the defendant’s.  Mr. Holmes’ work with these asbestos products caused asbestos particles to be lodged on his clothing at work everyday.  Mr. Holmes carried these deadly particles home to his wife, who shook them out of the clothing and breathed the particles into her lungs, while she was preparing the clothes to be washed. 

The plaintiffs claimed the defendants, including Honeywell International, Inc. and Pneumo Abex LLC, failed to warn the workers who used their products about the dangers of asbestos.  It was claimed these defendants knew about the dangers of asbestos for years and conspired to suppress the information about the dangers, so that workers would not learn about the deadly nature of the product they routinely worked with.  The jury found the defendants responsible for their failure to warn the workers about these hazards.

Advertisements